Sunday, February 20

Across the deep blue ocean, under the open sky, oh my.

First thing's first: I saw a beautiful picture on the ever-so-awesome frankie website that looked JUST like our beloved friend kath. So, without a further ado:


Is it the hair? Or the way she is sitting cross legged, head titled at such an easy going angle, carefully holding a much loved piece of paper scrawled with effortless writing? Or maybe it s the loose, but unique T-shirt, perhaps its the familiarity of the face.

So, this weekend, apart from getting more pumped about exchange that I haven't even gotten into, washing the car, dog (and accidentally for the second day in a row) my hair, finally finishing that never-ending list of maths exercises (we're going to get more tomorrow, I just know it), playing my favourite piece on the piano, listening to the songs of last summer and drinking homemade chocolate and banana milkshake, two things happened:

1. I decided not to go on the music tour.

2. I feel really self conscious saying this, but today was what seemed like the first time forever that I looked at my reflection in the mirror and like what I saw. I know it sounds really obnoxious, but for most of my life I thought of myself as really, really ugly, particularly with really crooked teeth/really ugly braces AND really crooked teeth and today, I felt like they didn't look so bad anymore. And maybe, if my teeth aren't so bad, I don't look so bad. Yeah. You don't have to agree, but that's just what I saw for a while, at least, until I put my glasses on.

I also started getting excited about the future. Small things, like going back to school tomorrow and seeing my friends again, to big things, like getting my braces off (who knows, maybe even this year), going on exchange, and maybe even going to the Big Apple by myself after I graduate. I think I need to write a bucket list.

Oh yeah, and I forgot to mention last post - I went to Glebe Markets last saturday with Audrey and had an awesome time. Bought a brown satchel (not vintage, unfortunately, but it was discounted from a nice lady who sold really cool sunglasses). I was quite disappointed that the main vintage eyewear stall near the entrance wasn't there, as I had planned on buying a new (old) pair of frames. [have been 'eyeing' them for a while, as my current glasses are starting to get old and uncomfortable]. We went to broadway and took a really awesome snap in the black and white booth.

What I have learnt since our group split up: I don't have time in my life for people who don't like me, are mean to me or my friends or don't make an effort to be my friend if I make an effort to be their friend. What really matters though, is that I learn from my mistakes, don't linger in the past, be better to people who DO matter, and never, ever forget who I am, and who my real friends are.

Wouldn't that be nice?

No comments:

Post a Comment